Get the facts about child labor and how it affects impoverished children and their families:
- One in six children 5 to 14 years old — about 16 percent of all children in this age group — is involved in child labor in developing countries.
- In the least developed countries, 30 percent of all children are engaged in child labor.
- Worldwide, 126 million children work in hazardous conditions, often enduring beatings, humiliation and sexual violence by their employers.
- An estimated 1.2 million children — both boys and girls — are trafficked each year into exploitative work in agriculture, mining, factories, armed conflict or commercial sex work.
- The highest proportion of child laborers is in sub-Saharan Africa, where 26 percent of children (49 million) are involved in work.
Nike Sweatshops: Behind the Swoosh
TLB recomends you visit: http://www.compassion.com/default.htm for more great/pertinent articles and information.